Sunday, March 21, 2010

Boob Tube: The Weaning

As of a few weeks ago, I am no longer a nursing mother. I've heard quite a few woman say that ceasing to breastfeed their sprouts was a source of great sadness and melancholy; they miss the quiet bond, the togetherness. Harvey's daycare provider told me she cried the day her younger son decided he was done.

I'm sad for a different reason — now that I'm not awake for an hour or so every night, I have no idea how to manage all the television shows I've recorded on the old TiFaux. I've lost seven-plus hours of weekly TV that I either have to make up during waking hours (which, no) or just do without. Hence, my own weaning process as I go through the backlog of series recordings. What stays? What goes? I'm saying, it's an issue. And with two female-centric favorites starting back up tomorrow — Nurse Jackie and The United States of Tara — I've got to decide fast. So, on to the list.

Kell on Earth: Stays, obviously. I look forward to this show every week, and it has yet to disappoint. Where else am I going to watch a crazy woman freak out on her employees and then lean across her desk to say, "Let's not be afraid of the abundance we've created"? I mean, apart from going back in time 10 years and hanging out with my old boss?

House: It's become formulaic enough that it's begun mocking its own formula, but I don't care. Stays.




Parenthood: This is a tough one. I like family dramas about quirky people with pressing first-world problems as much as the next thirtysomething white lady (see also: Grey's Anatomy), but so far I'm underwhelmed. The main thing that's kept me watching so far is the fact that it's set in Berkeley and Oakland, so there's sometimes a glimpse of recognizable scenery, like Oscar's in the first episode. That's not really enough. Goes.

Life Unexpected: Same deal as Parenthood, except this one is set in Portland and is supposedly kind of Gilmore Girls-esque. Honestly, I don't remember anything about either episode I watched, so there's my answer.

Shear Genius: Project Runway, but with hair, in case you're unfamiliar with the premise. This is one of those shows that I started watching sometime during the delirium of a multi-month stretch where the kid was waking up to eat an average of twice a night, and I would wake up in the morning never quite sure if I had maybe just hallucinated the whole show. Did the contestants really have to style hair inspired by food? Did someone really just make reference to a cock ring? Why is everyone wearing leather pants? Who watches this? Yeah, it goes.

FlashForward: The first few episodes of this were so gripping that I was totally cool with being awakened twice in one night by a hungry, squalling baby. And then it had some sort of hiatus and I forgot about it and I watched a little bit the other night and one of the Hobbits was murdering Ricky Jay. Clearly, I've missed a lot. So bye, FlashForward; I'll catch up with you later on Netflix.

Modern Family: Stays, especially as I feel that I have much to learn from the parenting stylings of Mitchell and Cameron. I'm not even done relating to the whole Ferberizing episode.













Cougar Town: Surprisingly, stays, although I have convinced myself that I'm watching it "for work" and have yet to write about any aspect of it.

Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock: Usually the highlight of my week, and I'm not even talking about just the TV aspect of my week. I should probably be a lot more embarrassed by this.

Project Runway: Stays. Models of the Runway: Goes.

Grey's Anatomy: Feh. Goes.

The Late Show with Craig Ferguson: Sigh. The problem here is that is just doesn't feel right to watch this show during any time of day that doesn't qualify as wee hours. I haven't been following the whole late-night debacle lately, but I'd be psyched if they put Craig where Jay Leno used to be. I don't think he'll tank. Not with those hand puppets.

Any TLC or A&E show about compulsive hoarders: Should probably go, as it's time to own up to the fact that my guilty pleasure is not any of the shows previously listed. No, my most furtive hours of TV-watching involve people who cannot stop filling their homes with crap, sometimes literally. I decided I'd had enough when one episode of Hoarders featured a woman who watched as a cleanup crew wearing Hazmat gear unearthed one squashed, flat cat after another, and was all, "Huh, how did that get there?" And yet I've continued to record them. Maybe it's aversion therapy: The more I watch people reduced to cooking their dinners in the two square feet not taken up by wads of tinfoil and mountains of empty detergent containers, the more compelled I am to actually recycle my own piles of magazines.



(Not my house.)






Keeping Up With the Kardashians: Wait, really? How did that get there? Now I am embarrassed.

5 comments:

  1. dude, as a new nursing mom, I am horrified to hear that the night nursing continues until weaning!!! On the other hand, I could definitely use 7 more hours of TV. I will gladly accept any suggestions you have for shows to add to my TiVo. (I'm thinking about that Kendra! show on E!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the thing is that you can choose to a.) wean earlier, or b.) not nurse on demand at night, neither of which I did. But I'm not going to lie, TV was a big part of why I dragged it out as long as I did. P.S. Don't watch Kendra. All the clips I've seen are her freaking out that she can no longer fit into her skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, now I feel like I totally squandered my nursing hours. Then again, I had one of those weird babies who was all business about nursing, so I guess I'd just have been frustrated by having to put said baby back to bed mid-show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andi! How many months did you nurse? And did you find anything else worked for distraction while nursing? I don't actually have TV--just Hulu and Netflix Instant Watch (and Netflix DVDs)? Did you worry about the baby being exposed to the screen time at all? ... sorry, I have so many questions, I'm only 8-12 weeks away from meeting my little girl and starting to panick about all this stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Mikhaela! I nursed for about 17 months, but really only started watching TV later in the process. When Harvey was really small, I mostly listened to podcasts and read books during the many, many hours spent nursing. I read many more books in the first six months of his life than I have since, that's for sure. But as he got big it was really awkward to hold him and turn pages, and once he was only nursing at night, TV made sense.

    I didn't really sweat the screen time. He was always turned away from the TV, and I wore cordless headphones, which I highly recommend by the way. But if you don't want to have screens in the equation, there are so many good podcasts to listen to. Plus, you know, you'll also be spending more time than you think just gazing at your baby and being so bowled over by how amazing she is that you won't really need any other distraction. For real.

    ReplyDelete