Sunday, July 11, 2010

There but for the grace of you go I

Summer always makes me helpless to resist the music I grew up listening to: Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Simon & Garfunkel, Boston. Harvey, for some reason, has become fixated on ABBA, which he listens to via tiny yellow headphones that Jeff found at the Bins. Every morning, when I put him in the car, he demands his ABBA, so I programmed an ABBA Pandora channel, which is basically late-'70s disco—besides ABBA, there's Blondie, Sister Sledge, Nick Gilder. Odds are he'll magically know the Hustle after another week or two of this.

Anyway. This Simon & Garfunkel lyric got stuck on repeat in my head, as did another one, from the Carpenters' "Superstar." I started a different piece using that one.  It looked good in my sketchbook. Once I transferred it onto fabric, though, it promptly resembled something you might see in a hippie kindergarten circa 1975, surrounded by woolen-yarn God's eyes and bowls of hummus. Yeah, so. This one will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment